Are you ready to start planning for your 2023 Bozeman race season? We have the expert you need to give you all the info: Colton, an Owenhouse Cycling team member and passionate local cyclist.
Colton knows his stuff, whether mountain biking, cyclocross racing or road/gravel grinder events! In this blog post previewing the upcoming race season, he breaks down some of his favorite events (and why they should be on your radar), shares must-do tips for preparing and more!
So if you’re looking to get psyched up for another year of awesome trails and tantalizing competitive races around town – let Colton guide your way!
Mountain Bike & Gravel Series Races:
Why race just once when you can race all summer?
Taking place on Wednesday nights throughout the summer, the Gallatin Valley Trail Series begins its 3rd season of racing this year! You can expect 5 XC Mountain Bike and running races to take place at Crosscut Mountain Sports Center and Highland Glen.
Race Schedule for 2023:
- Race #1: 6/28 @ 6:30 PM (XC Race + Run)
- Race #2: 7/05 @ 6:30 PM (XC Race + Run)
- Race #3: 7/12 @ 6:30 PM (XC Race + Run)
- Race #4: 7/19 @ 6:30 PM (XC Race + Run)
- Race #5: 7/26 @ 6:30 PM (XC Race, Run, + Party)
Dates & times can change. For up-to-date event info, visit the Gallatin Valley Trail Series website.
Three Enduro races over the summer in Helena, Whitefish and Jackson Hole. Test your skills in all three races or just race one! With lots of different categories, you’ll find one that works for your skill level.
Each enduro race has five entry categories:
- Pro – This category is for elite riders that are ready to compete at the highest levels of the sport.
- Expert – The expert category is for riders that are confident on all steep and loose terrain and technical rock gardens. Montana Enduro Series suggests that you are able to complete a 10+ mile trail ride before considering the expert class.
- Sport – Do you find yourself taking alternate lines when things get really steep? The sport category might be for you. Montana Enduro Series suggests that you are able to complete a 5 mile trail ride before considering the sport category.
- Junior – Under 18? The junior category can be for you! Your race age is determined by the age you will be on December 31, 2023.
- Masters – On the other end, we have the masters category! This category is for riders 40 and up. Your race age will be determined by the age you will be on December 31, 2023.
2023 Race Dates
- Hellenduro – July 22, 2023 in Hellen, Montana
- Enduro Pescado – August 12, 2023 in Whitefish, Montana
- Rendezvous Enduro – September 2, 2023 in Jackson Hole, Wyoming
It is possible that race dates, times, and other details could change as we approach event dates. Stay up-to-date by visiting the Montana Enduro Series website.
The Big Mountain Enduro Series is the premier Enduro tour in North America. This year the series heads to Mt. Nebo, Arkansas, Sunrise Park Resort in Arizona, Purgatory Resort in Durango, Brian Head, Utah and the finals are here in Big Sky, Montana! We can’t wait! Psst: Sofie is racing in Durango! Go, Sofie!
- Mt. Nebo, AR – May 6-7
- Sunrise Park Resort, AZ – June 10-11
- Purgatory Durango, CO – July 8-9
- Brian Head, UT – July 22-23
- Big Sky, MT – August 5-6
Stay updated with the latest news of this series by heading over to the Big Mountain Enduro website.
If gravel is more your style, there’s a series for you! These are well-supported races with fun folks in Missoula, MT! This series hosts two different races: West Nine Mile and MslaSeeleyMsla.
West Nine Mile – July 1, 2023
This 55-mile gravel race has two categories to compete in. The Elite category offers a challenge for those looking for friendly competition. The Recreation category is perfect for those looking for a long fondo-style ride.
MslaSeeleyMsla – August 19, 2023
This 65-mile gravel grinder has two categories to compete in. The Elite category will offer a challenge for riders looking to make a race out of the 65-mile route. The Recreation category will provide the miles, but with less competition.
Head over to the Garden City Gravel website to learn more about the event and signup for this Summer’s races!
Mountain Bike Races near Bozeman
XC race in late August at Big Sky on flowy, really well-built singletrack. It’s a course for climbers with over 8k ft of climbing on the 60-mile course!
An Owenhouse Cycling favorite, we have team members racing across various distances! I’m doing the 60 miler, and fellow shop employees Michael, Luuk and Axel are doing the 30. Last year Luuk came in 3rd, and I came in 4th – it was an exciting race! Click here to learn more.
Two things to watch out for: BEARS! And the weather! Last year the 60 milers got poured on, and the final tracks turned into a sprint finish mud-fest.
This race is known as the “Hardest 100 mile in the country,” and we are there for it! Test yourself atop the Continental Divide in late July. Pro tip! It can get super hot that time of year – be sure to maximize the aid stations and stay hydrated!
A staple of the state, Missoula XC has invited riders from all over the country to join in 4 days of racing since 2010! Some of the top racers in the country come to race this UCI-sanctioned race. It’s one of my favorites – for the past 5 years, I’ve either raced or gone to watch and cheer.
Gravel Bike Races near Bozeman
Have you ever experienced the natural beauty and premium gravel on offer in Sheridan, Wyoming? If so, you’ll understand why Jordan LeDuc and John Kirlin saw the potential to host a premium gravel race event for competitive racers, casual riders, and touring cyclists alike.
This year, The Dead Swede Gravel Race will take place on Saturday, June 3rd, in Sheridan, Wyoming, and the Bighorn Mountains. One of our favorite gravel races of the season, this race hosts 4 courses!
- 20 Mile – This course is for beginners, families, and those seeking a casual gravel experience.
- 40 Mile – This course follows the foothills of the Big Horns and contains rolling hills with a few challenging climbs.
- 60 Mile – Looking for a challenge but not ready for 100 miles? The 60-mile option is for you! This course contains plenty of gravel, hills, and the famous Bekton Hill Climb.
- 100 Mile – The 100-mile course is ready for those looking to challenge their gravel riding potential! Take on big climbs, sweeping descents, and views for days.
For more information on this amazing gravel event, head over The Dead Swede website.
The Last Best Ride captures Northwest Montana’s most spectacular outdoor offerings while providing two challenging courses to test your strength and stamina! The Mountain Goat (Short Course) covers 48 miles and 4,189 ft of elevation. The Big Horn Sheep (Long Course) will take you 91 miles and provide 8,189 ft of elevation gain. Both courses come with aid stations and volunteer support.
The festivities begin Friday, August 4th, and finish on Sunday, August 6th. Head over to The Last Best Ride website to learn more and sign up for the event. You’ll find at least one of us racing and the rest heckling!
Cyclocross Bike Races near Bozeman
An awesome event with great promoters. We love watching the pros race under the lights at night. You can be sure to find Luuk and me racing this one!
Stay Up-To-Date With Bozeman’s Bike Racing!
We hope this blog post provided insight into the awesome events in Bozeman for 2023! There will be many great opportunities to get out there and enjoy the outdoors. Whether mountain biking, gravel or cyclocross racing, Colton and the Owenhouse team have plenty of helpful resources available for anyone interested in getting involved. Don’t forget that if you have any questions or need a helping hand during prep time, feel free to reach out to us – we’ve got your back!